Guest logged in.
Welcome to WRHS Class of 1966 Online Users: 7
Navigation » WRHS Class of 1966 » Your Stories » Bio -- Melissa Miller Lamprich »
Current Replies for Bio -- Melissa Miller Lamprich

Bio -- Melissa Miller Lamprich (admin)
Posted: 8:17:38 am on 9/12/2011 Modified: Never

For 24 years my husband and I have lived in Grapevine, Texas, where I’ve been a high school teacher for 17 years. For the last six, I’ve been fortunate to teach a fascinating course called Human Geography. It’s AP, and geared in our district for ninth graders. I’m the wicked one who gives the rising eighth graders their first B ever, after they fail their first test ever. Amazingly enough they seldom drop the class, they do great on the AP test, and they end up loving me to some extent. This year I’m eligible to retire, but don’t know yet if I will. (If I do, I’ll love spending more time with two sweet little granddaughters.)<BR><BR>Like many of you, I went to OSU. I think my claim to fame there was that I got elected to the Student Senate using the slogan, “Keep OSU from going to pot!” I met my husband on a blind date to the fraternity/sorority “Ribbon Dance” my senior year; he was a first-year MBA student and in ROTC. We married the next August. I worked at the OSU housing office while he finished his degree. He just missed going to Vietnam and we moved to Tulsa.<BR><BR>My dream to become a teacher became reality at Carver Middle School, one of Tulsa’s magnet programs. Years later, that experience listed on my resume helped me get hired here in Grapevine. Our first son, who is now 34, came along; we moved to Edmond and welcomed our second son, who is now 31. We lived on two acres and the boys attended a small dependent school named Oakdale—150 students , K-8. We moved to Texas where the boys’ new elementary had more than 1000 students. Grapevine, however, has a genuine small-town atmosphere, even if it’s right next to DFW Airport. I was lucky to be able to be a stay-at-home mom, and then went back into teaching full-time when the younger son was in 9th grade.<BR><BR>When I first tried to get hired here, if one didn’t coach, one didn’t get hired as a social studies teacher. I subbed for two years, got frustrated, and after seeing a want-ad for the local paper, I applied and got hired. I began as a type-setter (was terrible…hey, in 8th grade I had made 5 As and a C; the C was in typing), but the editor saw a glimmer of writing ability in me and I ended up as associate editor. After two years, I started my master’s work in education, and finally got that teaching job. Two years ago, the writing bug bit again and I applied to be a Teacher Voices writer for the Dallas Morning News and wrote 7 columns over a year’s time for what they call the Metro section. During those “stay-at-home” years I also wrote columns for “These Days” published by the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation.<BR><BR>As for WRHS: Going there has made me proud of where I grew up. Roger’s diversity was “real world” and down-to-earth, and that has made me a better person and teacher. I’m also excited that we will tour the building again. One of my avocations is historic and architectural preservation with the city of Grapevine.<BR><BR><BR>